It's perfect for me.
As much as I was interested in going to Istanbul since there's simply more there to see, I was apprehensive about a) spending my time in a really ginormous mega-city, and b) living in dorms surrounded by Americans instead of a host family. Not only am I staying with a host family in Bursa, it's also much much smaller than Istanbul, but by no means short on exciting things to see.
I'm not a "go-outer." I don't, therefore, "go out." I have a general distaste for clubbing and social situations with large groups of people, and anybody I ask about Istanbul mentions its busy night life. Not so much for me. Bursa, however, has more mosques and early Ottoman mausoleums than any other city in the country. It has art museums, archaeology museums, quiet sunny shopping bazaars, and is the HOME (I repeat, the ORIGIN of) the Donner Kebab. Now might be a good time to remind everyone that I am infinitely more excited for the food than anything else.
Not only will I have the benefit of a native host family to show me the ropes, as it were, I will also be in a slower, quieter city where I will likely feel comfortable taking my time, walking around, enjoying the sights, buying Ottoman coinage at various antique stores, et cetera.
So right now, as I lay here waiting for Puppy Dog to get done with his hair cut, I am just really super super excited. It will be a simply exquisite place to spend my summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment